7 Reasons Why Massage is Good for Pregnant Women
Tony Beecroft, April 2017
Discover the Benefits of Remedial Massage in Melbourne
In recent years, more and more women are recognising the benefits of obstetric / pregnancy massage in Melbourne. It was once perceived as a form of alternative therapy, however it has become an increasingly popular way for women to reduce pregnancy discomfort. Research has shown that this type of massage is beneficial for pregnant women as it provides a number of health benefits.
This is however a specialised area of massage therapy, therefore it’s important that you understand the details before setting an appointment with a masseuse.
Benefits of Pregnancy Massage Melbourne
There are a number of health benefits obstetric massage can bring. Some of these health benefits include the following:
- Improved sleep quality. Deep tissue massage helps the increased production of melatonin hormone and serotonin compound in the body. As a result, people get to have their sleep rhythms regulated. When a pregnant woman receives a massage, it improves the quality of her sleep which promotes a good overall effect on the body.
- Lowers stress and anxiety levels. Cortisol is referred to as the stress hormone. When a pregnant woman is introduced to massage therapy as part of prenatal care, the level of cortisol in her body is reduced significantly. This lets her experience good hormones that have been known to improve mood, vitality, and immunity.
- Lessens swelling of the joints. Oedema is a medical term used for swelling. It is a common occurrence during pregnancy, and is caused by low circulation and extra pressure on the blood vessels. In order to stimulate the soft tissues and lower the buildup of fluids in swollen joints, deep tissue massage is recommended for pregnant women. At the same time, massage is able to improve the lymph system's ability to remove tissue waste in the body.
- Alleviates muscle pain and cramps. Pregnant women also commonly experience muscle pain and cramps. These discomforts usually occur due to muscular tension and heightened motor neuron activity. With the help of a specialist experienced in pregnancy massage Melbourne, these can be greatly reduced.
- Reduces nerve pain. A number of women experience sciatic nerve pain, especially in the late stages of their pregnancy. This is because their uterus rests on the muscles in the lower back and pelvic floor. When this happens, the pressure extends tension to the upper and lower leg muscles which result in swelling in these areas. Thanks to Melbourne massage specialists that offer prenatal care therapy, mothers are able to get the help they need in releasing the tension they feel in nearby muscles. Through massage, women get to experience less sciatic nerve pain throughout their pregnancy.
- Lowers risk for premature birth. Studies have shown that pregnant mothers who regularly received prenatal massage therapy were less likely to encounter a premature birth as compared to women who did not get a massage throughout their pregnancy.
- Reduces the baby's stress hormones. Apart from helping the pregnant mother, massage also lowers the stress hormones in the baby. Research has shown that massage plays a vital factor in raising the baby's cortisol levels even if they are still inside their mother's womb. Because of this, it is safe to say that mothers aren't the only ones who receive the health benefits of pregnancy massage.
Because of these health benefits, it's easy to understand why a number of health centres now offer remedial massage treatments in Melbourne. But before getting a massage with just anyone, it's important to understand that qualified therapists that specialise in providing prenatal massage are equipped to provide you with the correct treatment. Prenatal massage is something that specialists extensively learn to do and therefore your choice of provider should not be taken lightly. We therefore recommended that you ask about the therapist's background, qualifications, and the training they have received before proceeding.
In Australia, there are a number of practitioner membership groups that will allow you to find qualified therapists who specialise in pregnancy massage. There are also some physiotherapists who may be able to provide obstetric massage services that you require. The important thing is that you pick out a qualified pregnancy massage Melbourne therapist to make sure that you and your baby are in safe hands.